Friday, February 23, 2018

Simple Pleasures and Simple Sight-Seeing

You never realize how important some kitchen tools are until you don't have them.  That was the case for us here.  We have an okay-stocked kitchen, but we didn't have a can opener!  
What?!  
We hadn't realized it until after we bought canned foods and wanted to use them in our dinner.  We looked for one at a few stores but couldn't find one.  Strange, right?  So, one time when we were at Rabba--our little grocery store--I asked the cashier where I could buy one and she said they had a small section with one in it.  
Yay!
I know it's simple, but it's been very nice to have these last few days.  
Our second week was pretty simple.  We were still getting over being sick, and used to being here, with the cold weather and the downtown living.  I'm sure to Glenn's dismay, we didn't forget his workbooks.  ;)
He has done well to get started on these new books.  Sarah has been really interested in his workbooks too.  Whenever he works on his, she finds a pencil and asks for paper too.

We had one (or two) days this last week that were above freezing, so we took the opportunity to go for a walk to the library.  The closest branch to us is in the City Hall building.  It's only about 10 minutes away by walking.  
We were all happy to be out and about, to be among other humans and to have somewhere warm to be.  We couldn't get a library card that day because I didn't have any mail with my name on it yet, but they had a great way to help with that.  They had me fill out a post card with my name and address and they sent it to me.  Then all I had to do was bring it in with my ID and we could get cards.  But we did spend time there to just read and enjoy being somewhere other than our apartment.
Glenn read an entire book while there--he is a fast reader!
And Sarah had fun looking at books, exploring the kids area, and playing on the splat-covered rug.
Even though we couldn't get a card that day, they were kind enough to let us borrow one book.  Glenn found the longest Geronimo Stilton book he could to bring home.  He was one happy kid.

In Nathan Phillip's square outside City Hall there is an outdoor ice skating rink.  We watched for awhile and decided we wanted to go skating some time.
While watching, we noticed at the snack bar they sold poutine.  I had been told by my brother-in-law that that was something we needed to try while being in Canada.  I went to the order window and asked what poutine was.  I mentioned that we weren't from here--from Texas--so we didn't know what it was.  Poutine is French fries with cheese curds and gravy.  Hmm, I wasn't sure how good that sounded, to be honest.  But we needed to try it, so I ordered one.
And it was pretty good actually!  We waited until we got home to eat it and we ate it all.  
I think we may order it again sometime... :D
Oh!  When I mentioned that we weren't from Canada, the lady asked where we were from and then she apologized for the weather.  Haha!  I laughed and said that it was okay.  Sure we were cold, but it's okay.  It'll warm up sometime and we'll still be here.

On Saturday we thought about going ice skating, so we bundled up and walked over.  But we couldn't find an ATM to get cash...  We walked over to the mall and still couldn't find one.  After walking around there--and after Sarah bumped her head--we decided to not go skating.  Plus the wind was really strong and cold and it wasn't very pleasant to be outside.  So another day.

On our way home, we decided to try this other pizza place close to our apartment-- PI CO.  
It was a pretty simple place--one size pizza but unlimited toppings--your choice.  Since we were all cold and hungry, we ordered 3 (and a sweet one too!)  I don't remember how it came up, but somehow it did that we weren't from here, but from Texas.  The guy making the pizzas apologized for the weather.  I laughed again at that comment.  We know you can't do anything about the weather--it is what it is!  I thought it was funny how we got the same apology from different people.  (And now that I write this, I think our doorman has also apologized for the cold weather!)

So another simple pleasure--stickers.  Sarah LOVES stickers!  She got some for Christmas and she just loves sticking them on paper and even on people!  She was being really silly on Wednesday night. (February 14).
How do you like these simple masks, made from the outside edge of stickers from the library?

We were really looking forward to attending church on Sunday because we had missed the first one due to the kids being sick.  We made good time getting there--we have to take the subway and then walk down the street a little ways.  When we walked up though, the parking lot was empty and the building was locked!  We were so disappointed!  I jokingly said, "It's probably stake conference this weekend."  And it was!  We called the bishop of the ward and he confirmed that it was.  The building where it was being held took almost an hour to get there, and since it was already 10am, we would've missed half of it or more.  So we walked back home. :( 
 To be honest, I was close to tears.  I know it sounds simple, but blame it on pregnancy hormones.  I am such a people-person and an extrovert so I love being around people and interacting with them.  I was looking forward to going to church to meet people and to hopefully make some fast friends.  I also was looking forward to some spiritual feeding.  
(I should've taken a picture of the building, but I was too cold and sad to think about it...next time.)

I did take a picture of the outside of our apartment.  Our windows are the third ones up from Tim Hortons--there are some small toys in the windows.  We have a corner unit so we can see up and down both streets.  It's really a nice location.
 The front entrance to our apartment building.

Monday, February 19th was a holiday here in Canada--Family Day--so Paul had the day off.  We took the opportunity to do some sightseeing close by.  On our walk we found this giant thimble stacked on buttons, indicating that we were in the fashion(sewing) district.

We then walked through Graffiti Alley.
It's a series of alley ways where they have different artists come and paint.  It's become quite the popular tourist attraction too.  While looking around we saw someone painting.  We talked to him and found out he was one of the main artists!  Pretty cool!  There were some more adult/not kid friendly art, but I was happy to see so many cartoons/cute animals.  This artist said he liked to paint little chicks and donuts.  :D
This water scene was also done by the same artist.  It covered the entire building--it was really big!

Also on our walk, I noticed this building with giant bugs on it...hmm, not sure what that's all about, but I thought it was interesting.

When we found out where we'd be living in Toronto for several months, Glenn and I started looking at the map to see what was around.  We noticed lots of different restaurants, but this one stood out to both of us: Cafe Crepe.  We looked at the menu online and just knew that we'd have to visit there--and more than once! ;)
On our way home we walked right by it so we decided to stop in to get a crepe.
We got to watch them make the crepes--from pouring the batter, spinning them on the griddle and flipping them, to stuffing and folding them.  Paul was sort of explaining it to Glenn, but also making funny comments as he went.  The guy making the crepes kept smiling and laughing at Paul's comments.  It was fun to make a connection with one of the workers.  I'm sure we brightened his day as he did for us--by making delicious crepes!
Glenn chose nutella and strawberry, and Paul and I both chose the French toast crepe.  
They were delicious!

So most of our experiences so far have been pretty simple--and pretty much just about food (except the graffiti and button), but that is one great way to get to know a place.  I like this quote by S. Truett  Cathy, "Food Is Essential To Life; Therefore, Make It Good."
And so far in Toronto, we've had good food!

No comments: