Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fire Station Tour

The week before we left for Madrid, I got an email about playgroup--they were going to take a tour of the fire station!  I was so excited about that--and even more excited when I saw that it was the day before we left!  Perfect!  Glenn and I would be able to go!!
So Glenn and I stopped our packing and headed to south Austin for the tour.
This was one of the oldest stations in Austin--it used to just be the part to the right.  The big open door where we first gathered was where the engines used to park.  Now they use it as their weight room.
 What fire station would be complete without a Dalmatian mascot?!  This one wasn't real though.  But the kids sure liked to pet him as if he were real.
I was surprised at how bare and simple the fire house was.  I guess I expected it to have a little bit more life and 'beauty' in it, it being their home away from home.  But I guess it's got what they need, and they are fine with that.  We learned that they have 12 hour shifts.  And if they get a call during the night, it wakes them up with a loud alarm.  That wouldn't be my favorite way to wake up!
We then went to their entertainment room to watch a video about fire safety.  
Wow...it was made in the 80's or 90's and it was pretty interesting. : D  But it did get the messages across to the kids about being safe around fires.  I think one of the best rules was "Don't Hide; Go Outside!"  I think it was perfect for the age group that was there because I could see these kids being more likely to go hide because they knew they had done something wrong.  So I'm glad that it went over that because I wouldn't have thought of it on my own.  Glenn liked the smoke alarm guy too.  After the video, fireman Austin--yep, that's his name--talked to the kids more about smoke alarms.
And then fireman Jed talked showed the kids the suit they wear when going into a fire.  He went step by step to show the kids that it was still him and to not be afraid.
They had the kids each go by and give him a high-five--to help them know that firemen are friendly and will help them if there is a fire or an emergency.
 Glenn and I with firemen Jed
Next we went outside to see the trucks.
 Fireman Austin brought out the hose and let the kids each take a turn spraying.
And the kids got to explore around the truck.
 I wanted to explore too. :)
 Climbing up to the driver's seat--such a big step!
And of course we tried to take a group picture...
 The little girl next to Glenn is in his Primary class-Camille.  They've played together a couple of times and I know he was happy to see her there.  And I know he'll miss playing with her--her family is moving just after we return to Texas.
And I took this picture of downtown Austin as we were driving back home.
We had a good time.  We sure are grateful for all those brave men and women who are firefighters.  They protect us and keep us safe.  Thank you!!

1 comment:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

That was interesting to watch - thanks for sharing! It looks like Glenn had a great time