Sunday, August 21, 2011

Youth Conference

Massive Walls of Dirt.
 That was our theme this year at Youth Conference.

 The YMs president had some property up the canyon and allowed us to use it for our conference.  It was kind of like Girl's Camp where we were "away from the world".  We set up our tents, for one night, and then commenced with all the fun activities.
We had a skit, introducing our theme and the scriptures to go along with it--Alma 46:21.

We had s'mores--with those really, really big marshmallows!  Oh man, I was pretty excited about that!

We played some fun games like --shoot, now I can't remember the name...Ninja something.  
You start in a close circle, then you jump away and go into a ninja pose.  Then play proceeds around the circle, each person having an opportunity to slap the hand of someone around him, trying to tag them out.  Then you have the chance to dodge an attack.  It is really fun and you find yourself in some funny poses!
 
 
 

We also played a game called Poison Barrel.  Oh man.  Poison Barrel.  This is an intense game.  Once again you are in a circle, each holding the wrists of the people next to you.  There is a barrel, or in our case, a camping chair in the middle.  The goal is to not touch the "barrel" and not let go of the people next to you.  If you do, you are out.  And the circle gets smaller and smaller.
 
 
  I really wish someone had taken pictures of when I played.  One time I got thrown "like a rag doll", my Bishop said.  I twisted and twirled in the air and unfortunately I let go of the kid next to me, so we were both out.  Another time I made it pretty far in the game--it was me and the 4 oldest boys in the ward.  I had a big target on my head--being the last girl and leader.  I was dodging that chair left and right and jumping over it and doing my very best to not touch it or let go.  But this last time I jumped to dodge the chair and they all pulled at the same time.  I consequently flew in the air, kind of like Superman.  And then I landed right on my belly.  I remember remarking that it was a good thing I wasn't pregnant.  That would've been bad for me and the baby.  But I wasn't, so it was good.  I didn't get too hurt playing that game, although I did get a pretty awesome bruise from my first "rag doll" fall.
(It isn't the best picture, but it was pretty incredible!  I haven't had a bruise like that since volleyball in high school!)

The kids tried to give me a nickname of "Sister Poison Barrel".  I said that I couldn't accept that name--because I had never won the game. Another sister did.  So she got the name.
I instead said that they could call me "Sister Poison Barreled."  ;)

One of the main reasons for going up in the mountain was to play on our theme of massive walls of dirt and protecting ourselves from the evil around us.  The youth were split into 6 teams and were allowed to make their own forts.  Then they played a huge game of Capture the Flag.  It was pretty crazy and I was glad I didn't have to play. : D
 
 
 
 
 

We also did some team-building and confidence course activities.  I was in charge of one where the team had to cross a "lava" field with one small piece of wood per person.  If they touched the ground, a piece was taken away and they had to still continue to get across.
I had so much fun taking pictures and seeing which piece each person picked--there were some really tiny pieces that were chosen--and seeing the kids work together.
 
 
 
 
 
 

The next day we had a service project.  We chose families in the neighborhood who needed some help in their yards.  We did weeding and raking and all that kind of stuff.  Paul and I were lucky enough to have some youth come to our yard and pull weeds!  (They also wanted to wash our car, which of course turned into a water fight.  So much fun!)
 
 
 (Who says service doesn't pay?  This kid found a dollar bill while weeding!)

And the last activity that we had was river rafting.  We split into groups and got to raft down the river.  The raft I was on had several water fights with the other rafts.  We were all pretty soaked, but we sure had fun!  We also jumped in the water and played around a bit.


I was glad I was able to attend all of the conference--and that Paul could get work off too! ;)  Oh wait...(By the way, we haven't found a job yet.  That was a joke!) : D

No comments: