Sunday, November 11, 2012

A Visit from the Firemen

This afternoon my friend from across the apartment complex called to see if we were home and okay.  I didn't quite understand why she was asking it like that, and she explained that there were 5 or 6 fire trucks outside near our apartment and she couldn't tell if it was our building.  
Oh!
So we went outside to see what was going on.  Indeed there were several trucks and response vehicles right outside our apartment, but it wasn't our building, it was a couple away.  Thankfully.

We didn't see any flames or any smoke, so we figured it had been pretty small and they took care of it right away.  We did watch them detach their hose from the fire hydrant and put it away, so we know they at least used some water.  Glenn and I walked around to see it a bit better.  Then as they were cleaning up, I pointed out some of the features on the truck, and had Glenn count how many firemen he could see, etc.  One of the men saw me pointing things out to Glenn and had one of his men get a hat for Glenn!  He even offered to let Glenn go sit inside the truck.  Glenn was a bit nervous and shy at that point, so he didn't go in.  Too bad!  He did like watching them and seeing what they do.  
They were still there after we had made and started eating our dinner.  Glenn wanted to say good-bye to the firemen, so we peeked our heads out to see if they were still there--yep--so we walked out to the parking lot and they were getting ready to drive away.  The same firemen who gave the hat to Glenn was driving the last truck and he saw us and waved to us.  
As I wrote in my journal about this experience I reflected as to why he was being nice to us and gave Glenn a hat and none of the other little kids around.  I think it may be because I was pointing things out to Glenn and trying to teach him and show him.  I try to teach Glenn wherever we are because really, the world is a classroom.  I think people see that and want to help and show it in a more personal way, especially to those who are trying to teach.  I think the same thing happened with the pilot and cockpit experience from this summer.  So, I encourage you all to see the teaching moments around you--teach your kids, tell them what's going on and you will be amazed at what they learn!

1 comment:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Well, I'm sure glad it wasn't your building that needed the firemen - but it's fun to hear that Glenn got to see the firemen and get a cool hat!