Sunday, November 4, 2012

Hurricane Sandy

So the week of Halloween the East Coast was hit by Hurricane Sandy.  They weren't sure exactly where the storm would hit, but they had a big area of where there would be some potential damage.  Our city was in the Red Zone, and so we felt the need to prepare.  Sunday night it started raining.  

So we started filling up containers with water.  We were preparing for if the water had to be shut off.  A sister in the ward had mentioned how that had happened during some storms there, so we wanted to make sure we had water.  Paul filled up anything and everything that could hold water and that he could cover.

They told us to fill the bathtubs so we could use that water if we needed to flush the toilet.  I never would have thought of that, so I'm glad someone told us.
 Our apartment management also sent around a flyer with some information on it about being prepared for the worst.  They asked us to bring in everything from our patio outside.  So we had to find a place to stack it in our apartment.  Fun, huh?

But besides a lot of rain and some wind--not sure how fast the wind did get, it wasn't bad for us at all.  I was grateful, but also a tad disappointed.  I kind of wanted to see a really big storm--and maybe have the bragging right of saying I experienced a hurricane, or at least a tropical storm.
Our little patio area was shielded pretty well from the wind, so the tree just outside didn't really move that much.  In the videos you can see the trees across the street move a lot more.
So we were safe and sound.  After seeing what happened in New York and other places, I really am glad that it wasn't bad here.  I will count my blessings!

1 comment:

Megan said...

I am so glad you guys are safe and sound!