Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Cake Show

Saturday February 22nd we went to a cake show here in Austin.  My friend Cassandra--remember the tank cake from Atlas' birthday--told us about it.  She would be entering some cakes in the show and I was excited to see them, as well as other cakes.  This year the theme was Cake of Ages.  Any cake submitted would need to fall in that category.  It seemed a little vague to me, and really it was because all the cakes were so varied.

On our way inside, we saw some people advertising for dental health and such.  They asked if we wanted to take a picture with the giant toothbrush.  Um, sure!

The first thing we did once we got inside was let Glenn decorate a cupcake.  
I think he said he was making a dog, but it looked more like a dragon head to me.
Doesn't matter what it looks like, right?  As long as it tastes good--that's whats important!

The cake show was inside a mall and there were these kid rides.  Glenn wanted to sit on them and ride them, but I don't think they were hooked up anymore.  The mall was being renovated at the time. 
Then we walked over to where the cakes were displayed.  While there we ran into my friend Cassandra!  Perfect!  She could show me where her cakes were.  If we hadn't been there at the same time, then I wouldn't know which ones were hers since they didn't have the names displayed.  
We first looked at the little kid cakes.  Cassandra's son submitted a cake--any kid could do it as long as they did the actual decorating.  They could get help making the cake and getting things ready, but they had to put it on the cake.  Her son is two--and this was his cake.  :D
We then looked at the Junior kids' cakes.  They were all pretty good--especially for being in the Junior division, but here are some of my favorites.
This was my favorite!  It just looked so delicate!  It was so pretty!

Then my friend show us her cakes.  They were in the fondant wedding cake category.  She wasn't in the professional bracket, but not in the Juniors either.  I can't remember now what division she was in.  But that doesn't matter!  She showed us her cakes and they were awesome!  
She is such an artist! She made these flowers with sugar and painted with edible frosting.
This cake took 1st place in this division!  I was so excited when she called and told me after the results.  I felt like I had won!  I was so proud of her!!
She also make this one.  I really loved the bouquet on top!  She even made a broach out of fondant!  It was beautiful!  And the gold base--it's cake!  She is amazing!
She also entered two cake in the buttercream only division.  
This first cake--with the girl with red hair--got 1st place in this division as well!  
She asked me what I thought of this next cake.  I sort of hesitated and said it looked like Paul's grandma's house.  She laughed and showed me the title of the cake!
"Grandma's Wallpaper"  hahaha!  I totally agree with that!  And her grandma cake took 3rd place.  Way to go grandma!
I was so glad we ran into Cassandra so she could show us her cakes.  
We then walked around and took pictures of other amazing cakes, cookies, candy and chocolate creations.  I was truly amazed at what people can make!  People are so talented!
This next cake--with the Alice in Wonderland characters--was absolutely incredible!  It got first place in it's division and I think first place overall, but I could be wrong.  I just know that it got awarded.  
Still more awesome cakes!
This fondant one was cute--even the little banana slices and strawberries were made from fondant.
Incredibly intricate chocolate piping work!
This was so cool!  The person who made this cake made it look like their faces were pressed up against a window.  Such incredible detail!
Glenn liked this snake...
...and lizard.  It looks real!
I thought this was funny and clever.
Then we started looking at the professional cakes.  Wow!
This cake was awesome!
The silky yellow part was just the tablecloth, but everything above that is cake!
A nice throw-back to the cartoons of my childhood.
And then we saw this and laughed.  Okay, who was the Mormon who entered this?  :D  
Our favorite part: she's pregnant!  hahaha.  
And this one!!  Wow!  Everything on this was edible and amazing.  
I had to remind myself that it was cake!
I was glad to come to this and support my friend.  I'm so proud of her for take home 3 awards!  It was a really great way to appreciate the talents of others.

2 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Amazing cakes- fun!

Julie L said...

Wow! All that work into something to be eaten. Amazing! I really loved the purple flower cake of Casandra's (well, actually all of her cakes were wonderful, but that was my favorite). Never even imagined you could do all that with a little cake batter, some powdered sugar, and a whole lot of time!