Monday, October 14, 2013

Salamanca, Spain

After Burgos, we headed back to Madrid.  We arrived after midnight and were pretty worn out.  We had Sunday to rest, but then Monday we had more to do.  I did laundry and grocery shopping.  My parents went on the Madrid City Bus Tour.  Since Glenn and I had already done that, and because we were pretty tired, we didn't join with them.  They had a good time and saw most of Madrid.  They had much better weather than we had when Cheryl was visiting with us.  So that was good.
The next day, Tuesday May 7th, we took a day trip out to Salamanca.  It took us about 2 hours to get there.   We enjoyed the scenery as we drove there too.  I guess all that rain that we had in March turned the landscape all across Spain very green. 
I won't complain about that!

 We were excited to go to Salamanca and see the famous university that was there.  My dad's youngest sister, Carolyn, actually studied there when she was in college.  So we especially wanted to see it for that reason.  It looked different from the other places we visited.  The stone they used in the construction was a different color and it was, I think, quite distinctive.  We saw the library, the cathedral and finally, the famous university building, and I guess even more famously, the door/entry to the university.  
 The Plaza Mayor.  There were booths set up all over, so we couldn't see if very well. 
But it was a beautiful square.
The cathedral
And here's the university
 It's famous for this little frog on one of the skulls.  
Not sure why there is a frog, but there it is.
We looked at the souvenirs--they were very nice.  
I finally chose a sweatshirt that had the university symbol on it.  
 Glenn did have a little bit of fun while we were there...

2 comments:

Julie L said...

Glen is getting so grown up! This trip has been just a fun opportunity to see a part of the world I've never been and great that you've shared such fun memories. Those buildings are older than America! How awesome!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Just thought I would let you know that I looked at all your posts from Europe, so far, and love your comments and explanations - I also see that you posted some of the photos of me from my camera that I didn't want to post - aahh!! I guess that is okay, though, if people look past me at the scenery! It was a fun trip even if we did get a little tired and grumpy at times...