On Monday June 30 I was talking with my neighbor, Swasti. She told me that her mom's birthday was July 2nd. I was glad to know that information because I had been wanting to do something for Rashi, but didn't really know what exactly. When I found out it was her birthday in a couple of days, I set to work right away. I called my good friend, Cassandra, who makes cakes and asked if she had a egg-less cake recipe because Rashi doesn't eat eggs. She hadn't made one before, but she said she would find a recipe and make the cake for free! (She usually does that when she does recipes and things she has never tried before--it's like we are her guinea pigs.) I also talked with my other neighbors to invite them over for a simple party.
July 2nd came and I was pretty excited. I couldn't wait to see Rashi's face! Cassandra brought the cake and cupcakes over and we decorated my table.
I think I and my other neighbors took a million pictures of the cake and decorations! We were so excited and happy to see something that looked so beautiful!
Once everyone was over, I had Glenn go to Swasti's house to see if she could play. And I told him to have Swasti tell her mom to come over too. We could hear them in the little hallway between our doors and Rashi was saying she didn't want to come. Swasti didn't know what to do. I whispered to her that she tell her mom that she needed to come over! So reluctantly she did. The door was slightly open and we were all inside just waiting. When she knocked and opened the door...
Surprise!!!
She was so surprised! I have never seen such a happy and surprised look in my life! I think I was close to tears. And she was too. We took pictures of her and the cake and all the friends that came.
Rashi, Swasti and Siam
Me. Rashi. Purnima.
Siam. Swasti. Glenn.
I was so happy that I was able to pull off this party. It was simple, but wonderful! She told me that she had never had anyone do anything like this for her--ever!
Previously that summer they were planning on returning to India to visit family. But unfortunately plans fell through and they weren't able to go. I could tell she was pretty homesick and I wanted to do something for her. I was so happy that Heavenly Father answered my prayers about what I could do for her. She was truly surprised and very happy!
Rashmi. Rashi.
Purnima. Nidra. Meena. Krutya.
We each ate a few cupcakes and other snacks, but Rashi wanted to save some to show her husband. Later that evening we took more pictures and we showed her husband, Ankor. Purnima wanted me to have some Indian clothes on, so I obliged. :D
Me. Rashi. Purnima.
Rashi. Swasti. Siam. Ankor.
Ankor was very thankful that I would do something like this for his wife. He was concerned though that I had spent a lot. I really hadn't. But it wasn't about the money--it was about making my friend feel good and loved! For a thank-you, Ankor ordered some pizzas and we had dinner together.
Paul unfortunately had to work late that night, but he was able to see me in the Indian clothes still, taste and cake and eat some pizza.
1 comment:
What a fun thing to do! You are so thoughtful!
Post a Comment