Sunday, March 29, 2015

Retiro Parque--Just Glenn and I

Tuesday March 17th, Glenn and I went to Retiro Parque on our own.  It really is an easy walk for us--just 7 blocks south of where we live.  Glenn was really happy to have his scooter and it helped us get there a lot faster.

There are several entrances to the park, but the name of the gate that is closest for us is Puerta de O'Donnell.
Just as you enter through this gate, there are some ruins--the Ruinas de San Isidoro.  I tried reading about it on the internet and the translation wasn't the best.  So I didn't learn much, but there are these cool ruins right inside the Puerta de O'Donnell.
Glenn got to chase the pigeons while we were there--that is one of his absolute favorite things to do here in Europe.
We found another playground--there are several in the park--and played.  They are much simpler than the ones we have in the States, but the kids still have fun.  I wish I had taken a picture of Glenn with the other kids.  There were several there that were younger than him and who wanted to bounce on this little thing with him.  He would hold it down for them and help them up.  He was being a really good friend and helper to these little kids.  But the parents were right nearby and I wasn't sure what they would think if I was taking pictures of their kids.  

On our walk back, we took a slight detour down one of the streets to see this church.  We didn't go inside or even across to the entrance, but we admired it from the other side of the street.  Some people looked at me strange because I just stopped and took a picture of a building.  Sometimes I think Europeans are just so accustomed to seeing these old and magnificent buildings that it is normal to them.  But for us--those from America with new buildings everywhere--it is amazing to see them.

And here are a few other pictures around where we live.  Our hotel is on Calle de Don Ramon de la Cruz.  And our metro stop in Nunez de Balboa.  We are lucky to have it just one block over!  Inside our metro we have a cool wall.  It might be hard to tell what it is from the picture, but it's a train in a city setting.  So of course I had to take pictures.

1 comment:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Fun to see the interesting things near you, along with pictures of you. Sorry I have missed your phone calls...