Sunday, July 20, 2014

Our New Apartment

Tuesday December 10th did not turn out how we wanted.  We were excited to move in, but were kind of disappointed with how long it took.  That morning in the hotel we had breakfast, loaded the car with our suitcases and such and then headed to the apartment complex to sign the paperwork for our new apartment. We got that all squared away and then went inside.  We found a friendly welcome there--too bad we couldn't drink it.  :D
We did a quick walk-through and unloaded the stuff from the car.  We then rushed over to the storage unit to meet with the movers.  We initially had them scheduled from 11-2, but then they had to change it to 1-4pm.  So we thought we needed to get to the storage unit around 1pm to make sure they weren't waiting for us.  They weren't there yet, so we used the time to start loading some small things into the car.  We were so happy to say good-bye to the storage unit!  While we were glad that we had a place to keep our things while we were living all over the world, we were sure annoyed at not having access to our things.
Well after we loaded the car and they still weren't there, I took Glenn over to a friend's house who offered to watch him.  I then took the things to the new place and went back to the storage unit.  I was afraid that I had taken too long and that the movers and Paul would be waiting for me. 
Well I was wrong.  Poor Paul was just sitting there--no movers yet.  He had moved some things out to save some time and to get things going when the movers got there.  I got there around 3:30pm and helped Paul move a few other things out.  We sat and waited, we called them and waited.  We didn't get any response from them.  By this time we were losing daylight and warmth, so we put everything back into the unit, took the car to a U-haul place nearby, got a truck, came back and started to load it ourselves.  We finally got a call from them at 5:10, saying they were still 30 minutes away.  Grr...okay..so we kept working.  Guess when they finally got there?  6:15!  An hour later!  By this time Paul and I had moved just about everything except the couches, beds and some other pieces of furniture.  Paul stayed with them, I went to pick up Glenn, who had been at this friends' house all afternoon.  I was thanking my friend and telling her about the day when I got a call from Paul--he didn't have a key to the apartment--he had left it in the car--so they didn't have a way to get in and put the stuff inside.  Ah!  So we quickly said good-bye and came home.  They had already unloaded most of the truck and just had it in the hallway.  Thankfully we are on the first floor so we didn't have to haul things upstairs.  So finally everything was in!  
We had originally thought that we would be done with all of that in the afternoon sometime and not have it be so crazy.  Nope.  It was 8:45 when they had finally finished bringing things in.  I had found the sheets, so our beds were made, but that was about it.  We ordered pizza, ate it on the floor, and then crashed in our beds.
The next morning we followed Paul who was driving and returning the U-haul truck.  He brought us back home and then went to work.  He was there until after 9pm.  He had missed work the day before--not part of the plan--because the movers didn't come when they said they would.  Glenn was so excited to have his toys and things again!  It was like Christmas for him!!
I got going on some cleaning.  I didn't want to put anything in the cupboards and such until I had cleaned them.  I looked on top of the cupboards in the kitchen and found this.  Thankfully I found the paper towels and other cleaning supplies pretty quickly and was able to get going.  Glenn played a lot and I got a lot of work done.  

Over the course of the next week we arranged and rearranged the furniture a few times until we had it the way we wanted.  I guess I didn't take a final shot--just some in betweens.  But we were glad to be in our own place with our things and finally settled!

1 comment:

Kirsta and Morian said...

Moving is such a pain! I swear, when Morian graduates, whoever he works for better pay to move our stuff for us! I'm glad things eventually worked out for ya'll! ;)