The other day Glenn looked at me and asked, "Mom, what are your talents?"
I was completely taken aback by the question. I was wondering how he knew that word and the understanding that goes with it. I can't remember now what I did say, but I wanted to share some of his talents. (I guess one of my talents is appreciating others' talents! Haha!)
Singing
One of Glenn's talents is his ability to remember words and tunes to songs. I am constantly amazed at how well he can and does repeat a song back to us after only hearing it once or twice. He has been singing songs for several months now, and lately it has been a lot during dinner time. There's something about dinner that makes him want to sing, I guess. : D
(I tried to load more, but they won't. Sorry.)
He also will sing while he is playing. I love sneaking up on him in his room and hearing him sing, "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star", or "I Am a Child of God", or "Old McDonald Had a Farm". About a month ago I tried thinking of all the songs that I remember him being able to sing:
I
am a child of God,
Twinkle Little Star,
Old McDonald Had a Farm,
Row your boat,
Popcorn Popping,
If
you’re happy,
Jesus
Wants Me for a Sunbeam,
Wheels
on the Bus,
I Love to See the Temple,
She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain,
You are My Sunshine
(I'm probably forgetting some of them...he really likes to sing!)
There were so many! And it seems like every week there are more and more songs and things that he will sing. I love it! I love hearing his sweet little voice.
Drawing
I picked up this little magnetic drawing toy for Glenn for FREE at a Church swap--people brought the stuff they no longer wanted or needed and it was like a giant garage sale, but everything was free. I also got a lot of other great things too!
Anyway, so I got this for him and he calls it his "coloring". He likes to draw on it all the time. I have been amazed at his ability to draw different shapes and things. There were a couple of little people that he drew!
Aren't they cute?!
Okay, and Glenn didn't draw this one--Paul did--who by the way is really, really good at drawing on it--I'm not so good at drawing anything! : D Anyway, while we were waiting to see Glenn's doctor (I'll post about that too) Paul drew this picture and said that it was Glenn's doctor. I laughed out loud-so loud! It is just a goofy picture and I love it!
Reading/Writing
Glenn also has been learning how to read and writing lately.
We've tried to capture him doing it more, but it seems like when we get the camera out he gets kind of shy. But he has been sounding out the letters and spelling words! It is really fun and exciting to see him start to grasp this fun new adventure!
Let's see...the words that he has sounded out:
Stop,
Cat,
The,
Fox,
Pop,
Mom,
Dad,
Glenn
(And again, I am probably missing a lot, but this gives you an idea.)
(I helped him with the S, but he did the other letters.)
We have this foam letters that he likes to put together and likes us to put together into words. He also has been watching some Leap Frog videos that we've borrowed from the library. They are awesome! Glenn loves watching them and I love letting him because he has learned so much from them. He sings the little songs all the time and I will hear him say, "When two vowels go walking, the first one does the talking", or "The A says ah, the A says ah. Every letter makes a sound; the A says ah". And he also likes to trace the letters. If I am reading book to him, he wants to trace the letters of the title; of he will trace the letters on Paul's shirts. He also likes to read the signs on the roads or at the store.
He is learning wherever he is and it is great!
The other night he wrote his own name:
and my name:
and Paul's name!
Photography
As I've mentioned in previous posts, Glenn likes to take pictures too. Here are a few more samplings of his work:
(Oh and this is Glenn's doctor--the drawn picture looks nothing like him.)
Oh and one last skill...Glenn offered to set the table the other day...
I don't know if you noticed the placement of the cups...but he wanted them right in the corners. Haha! Goofy kid! We were grateful for his help though and hope it continues!
Glenn has many talents and we are grateful we have him in our lives!
2 comments:
I love how when little kids draw people, it's always a huge head with legs and arms coming right out of it! Awesome job Glenn!
Way to go, Glenn! We all need to develop our talents like he does!
Post a Comment