May 10th our apartment was finally available for us to move into. Yay! We had been in the hotel for 5 weeks, and even though we had a good time there, we were ready to be in our own place again and to have all of our things again.
When we got there the moving truck was just pulling up. I had the fun job of checking off each box and item as they brought it in to make sure we had gotten everything that was ours. They were quick and pretty good. As they kept bringing box after box and asked me where to put them, I realized once again that we had downsized. We had piles of boxes everywhere!
We also had scheduled a partial unpack, so they unpacked most of the kitchen items--dishes and such--and took away those big boxes. They also did a few other ones here and there. I didn't want them to do any more than that because I had to figure out where we were going to put it all. When they were unpacking, we heard some clinking glass. One of our tall glasses had broken in the move. And our umbrella's handle had been bent. So not too bad. But they did break another glass when they were unpacking. But it wasn't one of the generic ones I can replace. It was one of the ones the Grandma Thibault had given to us that had been given to them for their wedding. I know it's only a glass, but I was sad about that. It had survived all those years and other moves and then one broke. The guy felt really bad and apologized, but we figured that those things unfortunately happen sometimes. But with only 3 things broken, I am grateful.
We spent the next several days walking around the maze of boxes as we tried to put things away and organize them. I got rid of a lot of stuff in Utah, but I felt like I needed to get rid of more. It's hard though because I don't feel like I have too much stuff--I do have things that we aren't using at the time, but we will use again--like baby items. One day we'll hopefully have another baby so I don't want to get rid of all that stuff. I actually did get rid of some things--the really big and bulky items, but not everything.
So I guess if you come visit us, just don't look in our closets. ;)
When we finally got to unpacking all of our food items, we realized how much we missed our big pantry in our blue house. :( But we improvised and made our own little pantry. We bought two more IKEA expedit shelves and are using them as additional shelves for our food.
Glenn had fun with his Daddy, putting them together.
Glenn also had fun playing in all the empty boxes as well.
It isn't perfect, but it does feel like home. We put some pictures up and now it really does feel like our place. And Paul likes not having any yard work. ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment