Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Grandma Thibault's Funeral


"What is this thing that men call death?
This quiet passing in the night?
‘Tis not the end but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.

O God, touch Thou my aching heart
And calm my troubled, haunting fears
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.

There is no death, but only change
With recompense for vict’ry won
The gift of Him who loved all men
The Son of God, the Holy One."

~President Gordon B, Hinckley
My siblings, cousins, aunt, and uncles sang this song at Grandma's funeral.  It was hard to get through the words as we sang them.  Even though I have comfort in the Plan of Salvation, it is still hard to say good-bye to someone I love so much.
I want to include the obituary that my mother and Grandpa put together.  It is a bit long, but there are pictures at the end.



Alice Ann Hansen Thibault, 85, our wonderful wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, passed away on August 20, 2012 after a battle with Parkinson's disease. She is survived by her loving husband, Joseph Gordon Thibault; her daughter, Esther (Don Jensen); her son, Milton (Marilyn Billings); her son, Earl (Debra Cohen); 13 of 14 grandchildren, and 9 great-grandchildren. Preceding her in death were her parents, Milton Whitmore and Rhoda Robinson Whitehead Hansen; her brothers, Milton W. and William (Bill) E. Hansen; a son, Gordon M. (Gordie); and a granddaughter.
Ann was born November 19, 1926 in Cardston, Alberta, Canada. She graduated from high school (LCI) in 1945 and attended the University of Alberta and Brigham Young University. She met Gordon, the love of her life, at a BYU Canadian Club meeting in 1949. In 1950, she graduated from BYU with a BS in Physical Education and a minor in Health. Ann taught school in Alberta both before and after her marriage.
Gordon and Ann were married in the Cardston, Alberta LDS Temple on March 28, 1951. Their sons were born in Lethbridge and their daughter was born in Claresholm, Alberta. Gordie passed away at age 10 in 1962, shortly before the family moved to France to serve an LDS building mission. The family returned to Canada in 1965 and moved to Provo in 1966. Ann and Gordon moved to St. George in 1990 and while there, they served as ordinance workers in the St. George Temple. They also served as Family History missionaries in Luxembourg from 1993-1994. They moved back to Provo in 2005. Ann was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and diligently served in Primary, Young Women and Relief Society. She was a selfless wife, mother, grandmother, and friend, and a wonderful cook. She loved to dance, read, watch old movies, play games, spend time with her family, and listen to them play musical instruments. She enjoyed craft-making and genealogy. She will be greatly missed by her family and all who knew her.
The family expresses their thanks to all who served and helped care for Ann.
Funeral services will be held at 1:00 p.m., Friday, August 24, 2012 at the Sunset Stake Center, 1560 South 1100 West, Provo, Utah. Friends may call at the Berg Mortuary of Provo, 185 East Center Street, Thursday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. and at the church Friday from 11:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. prior to services. Burial will follow at the Provo City Cemetery, 610 South State St., Provo, Utah. 
Because we had just returned from Utah a week or so before, and because we didn't have enough money to send all of us back for the funeral.  Paul got some bereavement time, so he was home with Glenn.  Glenn really wanted to come with me.  He said, "I need to say good-bye to Grandma too."  He tried to stow away in my suitcase...

I flew to Utah on Thursday August 23 and arrived just a few hours before the viewing.  It was held at Berg Mortuary in Provo.  It was a beautiful building.

The next day was the funeral.  It was so wonderful to see our family all together.  We were missing a few people, but the majority of us were there.  The program was absolutely wonderful--a perfect tribute to my Grandma's life.  She, along with Grandpa Thibault, is one of the most Christ-like people I knew.  I have been so blessed to have her in my life for 27 years.  
 I love you dear, sweet, wonderful, loving, kind and unforgettable Grandma!

I also took the opportunity to visit my cousin's grave.  Little Stephanie is also buried in the Provo Cemetery.  She died when she was only 1 and I didn't know her very well.  I had never been to her grave before, but I thought it was time I went.  
"Death is not the end..."

1 comment:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

I'm glad you were able to come out for her funeral, although we missed Glenn and Paul. By the way, I made a mistake in the obituary - she actually has 12 great-grandchildren, not 9. And I forgot to put Zane on the program as a pall-bearer.