Paul had August 20th off and so we took the opportunity to tour some local attractions. It's amazing how many places and things there are to see here!
Clara Barton National Historic Site
First we went to Clara Barton's house.
Glenn had fallen asleep on the short drive over, so we let him nap a bit. Paul and I ate some lunch and enjoyed being surrounded by the beautiful world around us.
We took a video of the sounds we could hear. I had been meaning to record these bugs for a long time. These bugs have been making this noise all summer long!
Loud, isn't it?!
These bugs are called Cicadas. I did some reading about them and the sound they make is their mating call. They say that only the males make the sound--there must be a lot of males around because it is so loud! I didn't get a picture, so I got one from the internet.
Big, huh?!
Anyway, back to Clara Barton's house.
Clara Barton helped organize and create the American Red Cross organization and showed the importance of being prepared for emergencies. She was a very accomplished and determined lady and did a lot of good in the world. The house that we toured was her last home and it was also the headquarters for the American Red Cross for several years. They restored several of the rooms and we got to see them.
We liked these red cross windows. They were beautiful.
Great Falls
Not too far from Clara Barton's house was the Great Falls Tavern. It was built for the travelers and workers of the C & O Canal Company.
The canal was still there, although not in use. We walked along the path and then down a trail to see Great Falls.
We spotted a turtle and a heron in the canal.
When I saw this I thought it was a huge spider's web, but a local lady there told me caterpillars did it. I looked it up and she was right. Pretty crazy, eh?
Here are the falls. They were really beautiful!
As we drove around we could hear something under our car. So we found a place to pull over so Paul could find out what it was. And I took pictures of him! : D
Turns out the little plastic flap that protects under the car had come loose somehow. So he got some plastic ties and tied it back up. Good work honey!

2 comments:
Yup, cicadas are loud! I'm glad our crickets aren't that loud...That plastic flat under the care coming loose reminded me of when I went to D.C. to pick up Maren so I could help her drive her "new" used car and stuff back to Utah - the whole thing underneath was loose and she had tied it up, then we also got some duct tape to help keep it from falling off during our three-day, all-day trek...I remember reading a book about Clara Barton when back when I was in secondary school...I'm glad you guys go driving around and seeing things - I miss doing that, as we used to do that a lot...
Whoa - I thought I checked spelling on that - I meant "flap" not "flat" and "car" not "care" - and I probably should have said "driving around to see things" - ha!
Post a Comment