As I mentioned in the previous post, we had one week in Austin after our vacation to Branson. Paul was returning to Spain for the Fall months, and Glenn and I were going to live in Utah for that time. When we first made these plans and decisions we still hadn't sold our house in Lehi, Paul didn't have many vacation days this time in Spain, and every-day living in Spain had been pretty hard for Glenn and me. So we were going to live these months apart. Paul was able to take a couple of days off so we could drive to Utah and then he would fly to Spain from there. We left Friday, August 30th at 6pm, hoping to miss the hottest part of the day. We also wanted to just drive right on through the night until reaching Layton, getting it over with instead of dragging it out over a few days. We had a rule though--once you hit the rumble strip, you were out! And the other person had to take over driving, or if both were too tired, we would pull over to rest. So once again, we were on the road, driving through many states in the good ol' USA.
Saturday morning we made it to Four Corners. We took a bit of a detour to visit a few places on the way. We loved having an excuse to get out and stretch our legs.
Four Corners
After Four Corners, we continued on our way, heading a little ways into Colorado, and then into Utah.
The countryside in this part of the country is so unique!
Monticello Utah Temple
We again made a short stop at the Monticello Utah Temple. We had never been there and it was nice to see it. When I was thinking about it in my mind, I imagined an old tabernacle turned temple, so when I saw this one I was really confused. But I had been mistakenly thinking of the Vernal Utah Temple. We'll see that one some day I'm sure...
More cool land features...
Moab (and Paul's Trail)
We then made our way to Moab. Paul was excited to point out the bike trail that runs along the highway--that he designed!! We tried to get pictures of it as we were driving along.
Arches National Park
Then we made it to Arches. We had some time so we went into the park. We only got out--separately-- at Delicate Arch because Glenn had fallen asleep. (And it was blazing hot!) We did get some pictures from the car though of the other amazing rock formations.
Spanish Fork Canyon
As we were driving through Spanish Fork Canyon, we noticed that the leaves on the trees were already starting to change color. Then we saw the familiar windmills and the beautiful sunset. We stopped at Paul's aunt's house who live just before the canyon and we enjoyed visiting with them. We finally made it to Layton Saturday night around 10pm or so.
3 comments:
This makes me miss Utah! My parents live just below the Spanish Fork windmills :)
Looks like you had a fun trip - I love all your photos!
That's quite the drive! But at least you got to see some pretty things!
Post a Comment