Thursday, November 6, 2014

Another Indian Festival

The Saturday after coming home from Utah, my friend Rashmi was hosting another Indian Festival.  The Friday before I went over to help with some food preparations.

As I was leaving, she asked if I could help her with one more thing.  Sure.  She asked if I could sew sleeves together and then sew them onto a dress she had just bought for her daughter.
Oh.  
I had never done that before, but I said I'd give it a try.
So that evening and Saturday afternoon I worked on it.  First the sleeves were just strips of material...

...and I easily sewed them together and the wrist.
Then I had to fit them to the dress.
I was more nervous for this part because the material was thick at the top and pretty thin as the sleeves.  I wasn't sure if there was a special way I was to do it or not.  But I went ahead and did it.  Thankfully with the material being what it was, it didn't show my mistakes or lack of perfection while sewing.  When it was all done, I was very pleased with myself for how it turned out!
Rashmi and her daughter, Disha, approved as well.  I didn't get a picture of her wearing it, but it looked good!  I know I shouldn't boast, but with it being my first time ever doing it, I think I did a pretty good job!
Saturday evening we all went over to their house.  They let Paul borrow one of Ashok's shirts so he too was wearing Indian clothing.  
This festival was especially for married women...and so Rashmi did some kind of ceremony for me.  
Thanks again Rashmi for a fun evening!  And of course for good food too!

No comments: