Sunday, November 9, 2014

Holiday Blocks

Last December, my ward had a craft day.  I signed up to make some holiday blocks.  I started the process there--painting and adhering some paper to the blocks--but I didn't have time to finish there.  So I brought them home to finish.  I brought them out a couple of times here and there, but I hadn't wanted to finish because I didn't really like how they looked.  The paper had been slightly larger than the block, and I hadn't realized it while I was there...and I just didn't like how they were looking.  I debated what to do about it until one day, I ripped off the papers--off of all 20 double-sided blocks. Either I was making a big mistake, or I was going to make it look much better.
Well almost an entire year went by and I still hadn't fixed them.  October was fast approaching and I wanted to be able to display the blocks I had made for that.  So I gave myself a deadline and I am happy to say that I did it!

I started out with a plain block, then painted it black.
Then I used Mod Podge to stick the paper to the block.  Another reason why I ripped the paper off the blocks was because I didn't like how the some of the papers didn't really match or go well together.  When I was in Utah, I went through my mom's scrapbook paper and was able to find ones that matched and I liked.
From the craft activity I had all the letters and things cut in vinyl.  I rubbed the letters with a popsicle stick onto contact paper.  Then I transferred the letter from the contact paper to the block, rubbing it again with the stick.
And I did that for all 40 sides of the blocks, until I was finished!

Happy Halloween!
Be Thankful!
Merry Christmas!
Happy New Year!
I am pretty happy with how they turned out.  I wasn't sure how it would look at first--especially with the too-long, uncoordinated paper.  But when I went with my changes, it turned out really well!  I was happy that I was able to display Happy H A L L O W E E N in my living room! 

2 comments:

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

They turned really nice!

Unknown said...

Cute! I want to do that!!