So back in November I went to a free consultation at Hoopes Vision to see if I was a good candidate for lasik surgery. I had been growing tired of contacts and glasses all the time. And so I went in just to see.
I remember hearing about it years ago and the thought of a laser going at my eye did NOT sound like fun AT ALL! I remember having the hardest time learning to put in contacts--way back in 8th grade!
But at the consultation, they ran all kinds of tests and then talked to me about different options.
Turns out my corneas were too thin to do lasik. I felt kind of devastated when they told me.
But!
But there was another procedure called PRK (PHOTOREFRACTIVE KERATECTOMY) which I COULD get done. They started telling me about it..that it was cheaper than lasik, less invasive, and getting the same results. The main difference? It took a bit longer to get those results.
Lasik patients see 20/20 or better pretty much the next day and their recovery is much easier. PRK patients have a couple of hard days right after surgery, and then it can take up to 3-4 weeks to consistently have 20/20 or better vision. The PRK procedure is done right on the cornea while Lasik cuts a small flap and does it on an inner layer of the cornea. That cut will always be there and could potentially get rubbed or whatever. Yuck, just thinking about that still makes my skin crawl.
So even though I felt kind of sad at first about Lasik, when I found out more about PRK I was happy. : D
As I was getting ready for the surgery, I couldn't wear contacts for the week before my surgery. It just happened to work out that that corresponded with my very last pair of contacts! When I took out my contacts that last time, I realized that it would be my very last time! So of course I had to take a picture.
I asked Maren to come with me because I knew she would find it interesting.
When I went into the surgery room, my sister stayed out but was able to watch the whole procedure through the big windows and on the monitor that showed it all up close.
When I walked in the nurses asked if we were twins. : D No wonder they kept looking at us through the glass! No, we aren't twins and we are 3 1/2 years apart. They were so surprised!
They got me on the table and all situated and comfortable. I remember looking around me and trying to mentally record what I could and could not see or read. There was a clock on the wall-just one of those basic clocks, and I could only see it as I walked past it.
Then Dr. Hoopes Sr, came in...asked if Maren and I were twins...nope... And I think every nurse and person that helped us asked us the same thing. I guess we look enough alike and different that people aren't exactly sure. It's kind of funny that they all would ask!
Anyway, Dr. Hoopes came in and got me going with the procedure. He clamped my right eye open, cleaned it, rinsed it,and then put the corrective laser on to do it's work. Guess how long it took?
Nine seconds! Yep, that was it! Nine seconds!
He then did the same thing with my left eye. When he finished he said, "
Oh, I forgot to mention that this laser changes the color of people's eyes to brown."
I looked right up at him--right in his eyes because I could see them--and just laughed.
He looked at me and asked, "You can see me, can't you?"
I smiled and realized that I could! I sat up, saw the clock on the wall, realized that even though it was hazy, I could see it and distinguish the different numbers. I could also see my sister through the windows!
Even though my vision wasn't 'perfect' then it was already improved!
It was incredible!!
On the drive home I was looking at the billboards and getting excited that I could kind of read them without my glasses. Without my glasses before there was no reading for me--yep, even those huge letters. You know that big E at the eye doctor's? Well I knew it was an E, but I couldn't read it. My vision wasn't the worst, but I definitely was a good candidate for corrective surgery. ; D
Let's see that was a Thursday. I got to sleep afterwards and just relax. I did go to a friend's wedding reception and could see things--not perfect mind you, but I could see.
Friday my eyes were feeling okay. I went in for the Day One check-up and they told me that my eyes were healing beautifully! But they said that the next day would be a lot worse.
And they were right. Oh man! Saturday I could barely open my eyes at all! They were sore and so sensitive! It was hard to even try to open them. And I had to put 3 different kinds of drops in 4 times!
That sure was difficult!
Sunday morning was pretty hard too, but as the day went on it got better. And by Tuesday--my Day Five check-up I was seeing 20/20 out of both eyes! It pretty much stayed that way for the next couple of weeks, but I'd have good days and blurry days too--and that was normal.
When I went in for my one month check I was seeing 20/15 out of both eyes!
For the first week, any time I slept I had to wear these little shields. Lovely, eh?
This was Thursday night...they said that cold compresses would help ease some of the ache, so that's what I did. My mom took a picture of me to show what I looked like.
And I got this little treat from them after the surgery.
I am so grateful I had this procedure done! I remember the only time I felt slightly nervous was right before when I was on that table. But I had felt that this was going to be good for me, and I am so glad I went through with it! Probably during the month after the procedure I would be getting ready for bed and think that I still needed to take out my contacts...then I would remember that I wasn't wearing any!
It sure was great!
4 comments:
That is so cool that you got that done. Hopefully some day I can too! I'm so jealous!
You should Kirsta! It wasn't too expensive, really. And they have payment options if you can't/don't want to do it at once. You would LOVE it!
I'm glad you can see - I have thought of doing it, but after seeing what I look like in my driver's license photo - without my glasses on -I though I would spare people the shock! Ha!
That would be so awesome. Someday, maybe....someday... :)
Post a Comment