So to make sure I got everything done before moving, I made lists...lots and lots of lists.
One of those lists were of little projects that I wanted to accomplish. I felt that I would want to take completed projects instead of piles and boxes of unfinished work.
Now I still brought uncompleted things here to Virginia, but I did get a lot done as well.
The first to get done was an "I Spy Bag" with my sister Kirsta.
She had seen this on Pinterest or something and thought it would be fun.
We bought the materials and then put them together. We had fun dividing up the little beads and things we got for each bag--we made 5 total.
Another project that I wanted to finish was something I had started in October of 2009. We had made these cute little bags at our RS super Saturday. I had wanted to make 10 of them and only finished one there. I made a few others here and there, but still had 5 left. So I had put it off long enough. I got sewing one and before I knew it, I had sewn all 5!
Another little project that I had Glenn help me with was a paper chain--
to count down the days until we saw Paul again.
And the big thing that I accomplished--and I actually finished sewing it at 4am--just a few hours before our packers came--was a jean quilt!
I had found a big box of jeans at my parents' house and I had a bunch of mine and Paul's from the years. I first borrowed a cutting board and mat from a friend, but then I realized that I would need it a lot. So I went out and bought one. This friend, Vivian, helped me through the whole process. She told me what size to cut the squares. When she first told me to just measure 9 inches this way and then 9 inches that way...I knew that it would take me forever to do that because I would second-guess myself with every cut. So I found some thin cardboard and made a template. Cutting the squares were pretty easy with that!
These were the first squares I cut...
After cutting them out I laid them out and tried to come up with a pattern that I liked. And Glenn decided to help me with that...
I couldn't think of one that I liked and it was starting to bother me. One night when I was talking with Paul on Skype, I told me the colors of the squares and how many I had of each and he started making different patterns on the computer. He eventually came up with one that worked perfectly with the colors we had! I laid it out and realized that I was really happy with it.
The next day, while visiting at my Mom's again, I started sewing.
I was surprised at how easy that part was. I am happy to say that I really gained a lot more confidence in sewing since doing this. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty good!
My friend came over again to help me pin it to the padding and the back. I was so grateful for her help! I had never done this before and my confidence wasn't that strong in sewing. But with her help and support I was able to learn how to put something together and to think of how to go about getting it done.
Thanks Vivian!!
And like I mentioned earlier, I finished sewing this blanket at 4am--just before our movers came. I wanted so badly to get it done before moving and I was happy to have done it!
(Even though I missed some sleep because of it, I am glad I did it!)
And one other project that I did was making washcloth bibs. My sweet neighbor and friend was pregnant (is due in August) and had mentioned how she really liked the bibs that Glenn had. My best friend Emmeline had made them for us, so I asked her to show me how to make them.
Super easy, but the way!
Take a washcloth, cut out a semi-circle where the tag is, choose some quilt-binding, and sew it on!
These were the first completed ones...
...I made 18 total. It was a lot of fun to make.
I was very happy with myself for all the things I was able to accomplish! I hope to continue creating and completing projects throughout the years.
I am reminded of a talk by President Uchtdorf in the 2008 RS General Conference meeting called, 'Happiness, Your Heritage'.
"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before.
Everyone can create. You don’t need money, position, or influence in order to create something of substance or beauty.
Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children.
You might say, “I’m not the creative type. When I sing, I’m always half a tone above or below the note. I cannot draw a line without a ruler. And the only practical use for my homemade bread is as a paperweight or as a doorstop.”
If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God? Think about it—your spirit body is a masterpiece, created with a beauty, function, and capacity beyond imagination.
But to what end were we created? We were created with the express purpose and potential of experiencing a fulness of joy. 4 Our birthright—and the purpose of our great voyage on this earth—is to seek and experience eternal happiness. One of the ways we find this is by creating things."
This was a great talk and I encourage you to read it!
Now go create something!! :D
2 comments:
You accomplished so much - I am so proud of you! Thanks for the bibs and for using up all my jeans that I never got around to using to make a quilt - you will just have to let me use it when I come to visit!
Go freaking you! Seriously. You amaze me!
Post a Comment