On April 17 the space shuttle Discovery was taking its final flight and landing at the Dulles Airport to then be displayed in the National Air and Space Museum at the Udvar-Hazy Center. Paul came home and we were going to go somewhere to see if we could see it...but the roads were all jammed! So many people had the same thought and the highways were like parking lots. We were up in the hotel room on the third floor, watching the news coverage.
They said it was getting close to Dulles and I had a thought that maybe we should go outside. We had been inside because there are so many trees and we thought that being on the third floor we might get a better view of it. Well I wish I had listened to the thought. We heard this really loud noise and saw it fly in the corner of our view. We ran out of our room, down the stairs and outside. Several people from the hotel were also outside and had seen it fly right over head. We got to see it--just barely as it made a descending loop to the airport. Sorry for the tiny pictures, but it's all we got. But we were excited that we were able to be a part of it and see it first hand.
Two days later Glenn and I went with some new friends to the museum where they had a "Welcome Discovery" ceremony. It was really cool to be a part of that as well!
When we got there we had the opportunity to sign a shuttle tire. I put our names and Glenn scribbled. : D
We were privileged to hear from Mr. John Glenn! (I felt funny calling my Glenn Mr. Glenn--one of his nicknames because the real Mr. Glenn was there.) ;D
I took a couple videos, but this one was at the end of his speech.
Glenn and his friend Greisen had a lot of fun seeing the space shuttle, running around and just being cute boys! Greisen is about 6 or 7 months older than Glenn, and they get along so well. Greisen's parents and Grandpa were also there.
We were happy and excited to be a part of this historic occasion!
Welcome Discovery!
No comments:
Post a Comment