On April 6, Glenn and I woke up early (and actually it was
snowing that morning!) and went to the airport with Grandma Esther. We had 2 big suitcases and 2 small suitcases
and a back pack. Glenn was very clingy
and wanted me to hold him. I was trying
to get the suitcases weighed and checked and hold Glenn and it was really
hard. I was sure glad my mom was there
to help me. Once I got 3 of the bags checked
it was a lot easier. My mom took a
couple pictures of us with her camera and then we said good-bye. Glenn and I went through Security and then
went to the terminal. He was so excited
to see the planes and to be finally getting on one! We had talked a lot about airplanes and how
we were going to ride on one to Virginia.
As we waited for some of the first class passengers to board
a gentleman sitting near us told me that we could board before most of the
other passengers because I had a little child.
I was grateful for his suggestion and we were able to board sooner. We went on the plane and found our
seats. Glenn looked out the window and
had fun looking at the little buttons and such that were at our seats.
We had the middle and aisle seats and another man had the
window seat. Because of the snow that
morning they had to defrost out wings before we could take off. This man was kind enough to let Glenn watch
out the window as they sprayed pink stuff all over the plane. He also let Glenn look out when we were up in
the air.
Glenn did pretty well on the flight and even took a good
long nap. Before he fell asleep, we
asked one of the flight attendants for his own set of wings. Some friends of ours had told us that they
like to give wing pins to little kids on their first flights. So we asked and got one! I then noticed her going around to the other
kids on the flight and giving them each a set as well.
I was very happy to have gotten on a direct flight! When we got off the plane—and we were the
last ones off—a gentleman started to approach me. I didn’t recognize him at first, but he said
he was the one who suggested the early boarding. Oh yes, now I recognized him. He noticed I was alone and had my hands
full. He wondered if I needed a ride
from the airport anywhere. He, his wife
and daughter were returning home to Maryland from a trip to Utah. I was grateful to this sweet man who looked
beyond himself and wanted to help me. I
did follow them around the airport because they knew where they were going and
I didn’t. They waited with me as I
waited for Paul. He was meeting us there
and we were excited to see him.
When Paul finally walked around the baggage claim, I said to
Glenn, “Glenn who’s that?” Glenn didn’t
know where to look at first; he had been watching the bags go around and around
on the carousel. Above it there was a
man on the TV monitor, so Glenn looked up at that, but he didn’t know who that
man was. I then got down on his level
and pointed to where Paul was walking.
Glenn instantly smiled, squealed and RAN to his Daddy! I admit that I got teary eyed at that. Glenn was so excited to see Paul! When they walked up to me I hugged and kissed
him. He was a sight for my eyes!
We gathered our luggage, Paul bought a toy plane for Glenn,
we said good-bye to the sweet family who had helped us, and we went out to
catch the hotel shuttle. After putting
our luggage in our room and freshening up a bit, we went driving around. Paul showed us where he works, where we will
live (come May 10th) and a few other places here and there. We then went to dinner at The Cheesecake
Factory. Yum!
Glenn had to sit next to Paul and do everything with
Paul. I was nervous that he wouldn’t
want to go to Paul and be clingy to me.
That’s how he had been in Utah, especially the last couple of
weeks. I think Glenn could sense that
something was about to really change and he would cling to me in response. But Glenn was so happy to be with his Daddy
again! Glenn would ask questions and I
would automatically answer because I was so used to do that. Glenn responded with, “No Mommy, I’m asking
Daddy.” Or when he needed to be
unbuckled or helped up or anything, he wanted Daddy to do it. This was music to my ears! I had been doing everything for him for 3
months and I wanted a break. :D Plus it
is one of my favorite things to do to watch my two boys interact.
(Glenn has become quite the little photographer. He likes to take pictures of Paul and I.)
We sure are happy to be a family together again!
3 comments:
That's good that Glenn enjoyed the flight and did so well. I'll have to remember to ask for wings when my kids finally get to fly on a plane! And that's awesome that Glenn was so excited to see his daddy!
WHOA! Glenn can take pictures? That's neat. Glad the flight went well.
Geez. I got teary eyed when you talked about Glenn running to Paul! So sweet!
That is so nice you had people who were understanding and helpful on the plane. That makes a huge difference!
Post a Comment